PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

NEWBIE'S TALE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> General Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abv818
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoy wrote:
I hope samsung i600 will get a wm6 upgrade.

I totally agree with you bro and I hope its a FREE UPGRADE!

@ epoy-How's your new toy? I recently reunited with my i600 which was replaced by MemoXpress due to a defective memory card slot.

Just loaded TCPMP and the trial version of Agenda One. I also got myself a 1GB Kingston micro-SD.

@ppcsurfer-I'm just curious. The i600 is not a touchscreen smartfone. If upgraded to WM6, will it perform well even if it is not touchscreen or will it become a touchscreen device? Thanks

sgt. shultz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@abv818
WM6 is just OS upgrade. touch screen is hardware. there's no WM smartphone that's touchscreen. WM6 for Smartphones is now called Windows Mobile Standard Edition

Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
epoy
New Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@abv818
personally, its a great phone. its my first time to have a qwerty smartphone. still installing apps. i got a 1 gb transcend microsd but i'm thinking of buying 2gb for music, photos and videos.
Have you already tried hsdpa on this unit? I'm just receiving 3g signal. I don't know if I have to call Smart to activate it.

abv818
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt. shultz wrote:
@abv818
WM6 is just OS upgrade. touch screen is hardware. there's no WM smartphone that's touchscreen. WM6 for Smartphones is now called Windows Mobile Standard Edition

Very Happy

Thanks sarge. That's added knowledge for me, since I'm a newbie on Windows-based phones.

abv818
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoy wrote:
@abv818
personally, its a great phone. its my first time to have a qwerty smartphone. still installing apps. i got a 1 gb transcend microsd but i'm thinking of buying 2gb for music, photos and videos.
Have you already tried hsdpa on this unit? I'm just receiving 3g signal. I don't know if I have to call Smart to activate it.

Same here bro. I think this unit fits my needs, so far. I settled for the 1GB cards since I still have my PDA with me to serve as my MP3 player and Video player.

I don't think I've tried HSDPA yet, but the wi-fi feature of the fone is great. Tried it in Davao City several times in a coffee shop and a restaurant. Hours of free surfing over the fone and everybody thinks you're just texting.

david-ruffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt. shultz wrote:
ppcsurfr wrote:
I agree... I just hope that Microsoft sees the importance of being able to create documents on a mobile device such as smartphones.

i think they already did Wink (wm6) Very Happy

i think what he meant is to really create similar to Pocket PCs, not just by workarounds on opening blank documents then selecting edit.

hmmm... parang pwede na rin sa akin ang Samsung I600 hehehe mura eh!

http://dronthego.wordpress.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blim888
New Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know if you upgrade to WM6 for smartphone you can now create/open/edit word and excel files. So if i were you upgrade na kayo. Thats the one thing i miss kaya i opted to buy a pppc phone.

cutiepatootsie
New Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: My i600 story Reply with quote

dear abv818

OMG, ure like my twin with regards to background and reason leading to the purchase of the samsung i600. I too started off with the palm, I put my everything there! I love the memo, the ease of usage, the simplicity.
I underwent huge adjustment with the i600 (lots of staying up till the wee hours reading forums, googling, posting stuff here).

I had to adjust to outlook. Fix the numerous kinks in syncing my phone with outlook at home and the office so that I don't have to lug a laptop around but sadly till now still not smooth sailing. I think there's a problem with outlook, a bug of some sort.

Read, read, read about softwares, searching for softwares, trying out on the phone if it works or not... trial and error... yah i invested a lot of time learning about this phone.

Anyway, here are the softwares I find are very useful on this phone:
1. Agenda One - nice interface in viewing tasks and calendar.
2. Docs to go- much better than mobile office
3. Orneta Scissors - since the i600 did not have copy and paste feature (
Evil or Very Mad ... yah wtf right?)
4. Eric Johnson Calculator - simple easy to use calculator.
5. group sms 1.4.1 - since i600 does not have this feature!!!! wtf2
6. IM plus - chat using Yahoo messenger when wifi is available.
7. Jeyo Mobile Extender - sending sms via outlook on ur pc.. (typing always beats sms-ing)
8. Smartphone Notes - i cant figure how to sync my notes on outlook to my i600. wtf3.
9. smoresoft sudoku - its a game.
10. Arithmetick - its a game.
11. convert it - i use this to convert currency, basic measurements, can update everytime i sync since it's able to go online when i plug my phone to my pc. (and coz smart converter isnt that smart)
12. TCPMP - err... havent used this yet.
13. WiFiFoFum - err... i have it and i know what its for but i can't figure out how to use it (maybe its only for PPC?).
14. Resco Explorer - same as 13.
15. Developer One code wallet pro - same as 13 and 14.
16. Fring - call friends and loved ones using Skype.

My current status:
1. I still need a dictionary tho and cant seem to find one....
2. I'm having problems syncing my phone between my PC Home and PC office. some stuff doubles and triples and goes missing with each sync! Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Accessories:
Recently, I was able to purchase a silicone case and screen protector at Orange in Greenhills, it totals to P500 for both.
1 GB pqi micro SD card from CDR King for P690 (1wk replacement 6 mo warranty)

Looking forward to going to one of the EBs one day so I can learn more about this phone and softwares too! Hoping all the info I hear wont sound like Klingon to me.

Funny story: I unknowingly incurred P500++ in gprs/wifi cost. I suspect I was in tektite then ( but i thought wifi there was free?) so... I dunno how that happened... does someone have the same story?
smartphone

korben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My i600 story Reply with quote

cutiepatootsie wrote:

My current status:
1. I still need a dictionary tho and cant seem to find one....

You can try this Lexisgoo English Dictionary v3.0
    Requirements: All Pocket PC Devices, Pocket PC Phone Edition, Pocket PC 2003, 2003 SE,WM 5.0 ,Windows Mobile 6.0 and 19 MB of free space.
    Overview: Winner of Best Dictionary in the 2006 PPC Awards! The first speaking english dictionary with 182,000 entries, 4100 idioms, Thesaurus, Grammar Handbook and Study Assistant.

Highlights
    Windows Mobile 6.0 new
    Wordnet 2.1 with more than 185,000 entries new
    Smart layout for viewing word’s meaning new
    Fix bugs for Pocket PC Phone Edition new
    Lexisgoo Lite and Full version are available!
    Improve Speech module
    Support Opera Brower, PocketBible
    Support square screen
    Smart favorites for better learning
    Enhance Today plugin module for better use
    New smart text selection that will help you to lookup words from Pocket IE (compatible with MultiIE, Pocket Plus ) by one tap or from editable applications more easily See the illustrated picture as below Special & New
    Not similar as other dictionaries, the dictionary inherits full-data from original database (all examples and word-links) Special
    Contains 185,000 entries, 1.4 million links, 3.18 million words, 4140 Idioms and full list of irregular verbs
    Auto-scroll in definition window
    Support anagram search
    Just by two taps to get definition from MS Reader, MobiPocket Reader Special
    A advanced study assistant, including automatic vocabulary reminder on today screen Special
    Allows to add notes for keywords
    Built-in Grammar and Effective Writing Handbook and Free Grammar Book Builder Windows Version
    Adjustable volume
    Compatible with real VGA devices
    Word links with synonyms and related words for every definition
    Reads out text in English from the screen
    Can be installed on your storage card
    You can download GRE, TOEFL, GMAT, Telecommuniation, Medical Wordlist Here

More Info:
    Code:
    http://www.ppclink.com/?ppclink=product&do=view&id=22

Download Instructions:
    Download demo:
    http://www.ppclink.com/files/lexisgoo_arm.zip
    http://www.ppclink.com/files/lexisgoo_arm.cab

cutiepatootsie wrote:

2. I'm having problems syncing my phone between my PC Home and PC office. some stuff doubles and triples and goes missing with each sync! Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Actually you're syncing with two PCs, meaning it boils down with Activesync partnership. The partnership profile on you're home PC is different on the partnership profile with your office PC, ergo you have multiple similar entries may it be PIMs or whathaveyous.

Overview of synchronization relationships
    When starting ActiveSync for the first time, you are prompted to create a synchronization relationship with your mobile device. When you set up a synchronization relationship, you select synchronization and file conversion settings, which are contained in a file on your PC. This file enables your PC to recognize your device. Only devices that have a synchronization relationship with a PC can synchronize information with that PC.

Your PC can set up synchronization relationships with many different devices, but a device can have synchronization relationships with at most two PCs. For example, you can keep the same contact information on your PC at work, your PC at home, and your device. No matter where you are viewing information, you will have the information you want at your fingertips. However, you can synchronize e-mail messages between your device and one PC only.

Note: If the two computers with which you want to set up synchronization relationships are both connected to Microsoft Exchange, you can set up a synchronization relationship with only one.

Set up sync relationships with two PCs

To ensure that synchronization functions properly, you should synchronize each type of information using the same synchronization settings on both PCs.

1. If your device already has a synchronization relationship with one PC, go to step 4. Otherwise, connect your device to the first PC using a cable or infrared connection. The Sync Setup wizard will start automatically.
    2. Follow the instructions on the screen.
    3. After you have set up a synchronization relationship and synchronization is complete, disconnect your device from the first computer.
    4. Connect your device to the second PC using a cable, cradle, infrared, or Bluetooth connection. The Sync Setup wizard will start.
    5. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Note:
    - When you synchronize your device with multiple computers, the items that you synchronize will appear on all of the computers with which they are synchronized.

- You can synchronize e-mail information between your device and only one PC, unless you are synchronizing your device with an Outlook .pst file (personal folder) on the other PC.

cutiepatootsie wrote:

Looking forward to going to one of the EBs one day so I can learn more about this phone and softwares too! Hoping all the info I hear wont sound like Klingon to me.

Definitely it won't be Klingon to you when the other gurus would help you out on that.

cutiepatootsie wrote:

Funny story: I unknowingly incurred P500++ in gprs/wifi cost. I suspect I was in tektite then ( but i thought wifi there was free?) so... I dunno how that happened... does someone have the same story?

hmmm... are you on Globe?

Globe charges by the kb transmitted versus Smart's by 30mins

0.15c/Kb on Globe GPRS
    Php10/30mins on Smart GPRS

My Multiply site

blim888
New Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My i600 story Reply with quote

cutiepatootsie wrote:

i think what happend here is that you thought you were connected via wifi but instead you where connected via gprs. wifi shouldnt cost you anything. when you surf look at your status if you are connected via gprs there will be a G with arrows on your signal bars. to simply turn this off you should hold the hangup button for 3-4 seconds till the G is gone. Hope i have helped in some ways. Welcome to WM!

cutiepatootsie
New Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimm888

when i press the hangup button nagkeylock sha....
smartphone

Last edited by cutiepatootsie on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

korben

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. long reply Very Happy hahahhah....

Happy 3 Kings

My Multiply site

binoy
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutiepatootsie wrote:
Blimm888

when i press the hangup button nagkeylock sha....

Press on the power button nalang without holding it. That should take you the Quick List. Go to Wireless Manager, highlight Phone, press Menu and select Disconnect Cellular Data.

You'll know you're on wifi if there's an icon of an antenna up top without the dotted circle around it. The i600 automatically uses wifi (or internet connection through ActiveSync) first if you're connected but will switch to gprs/edge/3g depending on your settings on Pocket IE.

If you really want to be sure you only connect via wifi, you can go back to Wireless Manager, turn wifi on, and turn your phone radio off. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> General Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: