PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Sony Ericsson Windows Mobile Professional devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertWalls
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 Reply with quote

Sony Ericsson has released this WM6.1 device in the Philippines.

Xperia

Got my pre-ordered unit (actually for my wife) yesterday for PHP42,500.

I hope that this, being their first delve into the WM arena, would not be a flop.

rleo6965
New Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation. Have you tried it yourself? How is the performance of touchscreen? Is the camera fast to take picture? Thanks in advance. Laughing

MMJ
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, we're interested to see how it handles. I'm quite interested to know how the X1 compares to the Omnia (if even applicable).

rleo6965
New Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Xperia "dummy unit only" in Glorieta 4 and Robinson Place Malate and according to them they don't have stock. Its already sold out . I have to wait 2 weeks for the "real " Xperia X1 unit if I order.. Hmmmm . Just wondering. Another delay ??????????. It seems nobody post their Xperia experience here. He he he. Wink

RobertWalls
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get my hands on the X1. My wife won't let me touch it yet.

Will post comments when I do.

SuperInggo
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RobertWalls,
You are a lucky man Smile How's the videorecording at 30fps? I hope you can show us some samples

rleo6965
New Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided not buy Xperia now. because I find the screen was too small for my PocketSketch or even to play game and other software the require bigger screen like my Ipaq 6965. So instead of buying Xperia . I'll just buy Sony DSC T500 digital camera so that my two daughter will be very happy this Christmas. Wink

MMJ
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alot of happy reviews about the X1 out there. can anyone here give a local review? has robertwalls successfully pried it of his wife's hands yet? Very Happy

RobertWalls
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to try it for a while. Here are some of my observations:

1. The overall size is good. More like a phone than a PDA.

2. The arched slide of the screen/keyboard is cool. The mechanism is firm and stable.

3. The location of the SIM is under the battery. You have to remove the battery to replace your SIM; unlike the O2 Zinc and the TyTN II where the SIM is under the screen.

4. It seems like this PDA is designed for a left-handed person. The stylus is on the top left of the unit. You will have to reach across the screen with your right hand to pull it out. The QWERTY keyboard slides to the left of the unit (the TyTN II keyboard slides to the right). If you are using the keyboard and you need to get your stylus out, you will have to use your left hand and then transfer the stylus to your right.

5. The speaker is on the left side of the unit. It gets covered by your palm near the base of your thumb. Somehow, the audio gets muffled because of this. Again, this makes me think that the design is for a left-handed person (see #4 above)

6. I find the QWERTY a bit difficult to use. The keys are spread apart to occupy the longer body. You will have to bend your thumbs real tight to use the Q, A and the L, O, P keys... and the also Enter key. The top of the keys are ridged diagonally (to match the X design). That design just lets your thumb slide to the corner of the key as you type; causing you to mistype.

7. The camera is better, compared to my TyTN II. The images are sharper and the colors are more vivid. However, it takes too long to "click". The auto focus takes a while, plus the camera reaction to "snap" the photo takes an additional second. You may miss some sports action if this is what you are using.

8. The screen (3") is a bit to narrow but longer. I'm a big Excel user. If I use the unit vertically, I see fewer columns and more rows. If I use it in landscape mode, I see fewer rows and more columns. Maybe I've just gotten used to the standard PDA screen aspect ratio.

9. I like the dashboard panels. It allows you to (sort of) have 9 Today screens. The panels are customizable and you can download additional panels.

10. The threaded SMS messages seem awkward. I still have difficulty adjusting to the concept. It's just lumping into a single file all your interactions with an addressee, without regard to whether these "conversations" really belong to the same thread or another topic already.

11. My wife complains that the processor seems slow vs her older rw6828. I don’t know how these 2 processors compare. Anyway, when she deleted the music and video files that came installed, somehow she said that the performance has improved.

That's all for now.

Last edited by RobertWalls on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

jayteecie
Windows Mobile Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review there RobertWalls! Does it have a GPS?

RobertWalls
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has GPS. We haven't tried it, though. I don't think there is a bundled GPS software (e.g., MapKing was bundled with TyTN II).

Is there a freeware GPS available out there with Manila or Philippine maps?

Roamron
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice views from an early adopter. Congratulations to you, I hope the wife gives you more time to play with it soon for a more in depth review. Smile I have been reading complaints from international forumers about the OS lag, I hope this gets solved immediately. By the way the unit will be perfect for me if ever, I am left handed. Smile

MikelSy
New Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more feedback please. been really thinking about purchasing this or the iphone 3g. both of em has their pros and cons... =)

RobertWalls
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikelSy wrote:
more feedback please. been really thinking about purchasing this or the iphone 3g. both of em has their pros and cons... =)

I wanted to give my wife the iPhone, as Globe is giving that away for free (depending on the plan). I guess the deciding factor in favor of Xperia x1 is the slide out keyboard + stylus. My wife and I are both heavy users of Excel. It is just too difficult to do that on a virtual keyboard.

MMJ
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooo, sounds promising. From what I see on pictures and from your feedback, the change in keyboard size does impact your typing. so are you now more prone to mistakes? Or is it because of hand size (you do know what they say about people with big hands...) I'm worried that, as I currently have some trouble typing on my 838 Pro, would have a worse time with the X1. Does the finishing make it slippery or anything?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Sony Ericsson Windows Mobile Professional devices All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: