PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

Hands-on with the MSI Wind U160 (First Impressions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Netbook Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppcsurfr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Hands-on with the MSI Wind U160 (First Impressions) Reply with quote

Last July 23, we finally decided to get an MSI U160 for the company. We thought, one unit first to test out and if everything goes well, then we might get another two units. Here's what we think of the Wind U160.

A week before we purchased the unit, we went to look at the Wind U160 to have a more realistic feel of its size and to compare it to the Wind U100/U130/U135 units which I was more familiar with.

They first showed me a Gold unit, then I asked if they had a Black one. They pulled out a Black unit for me to look at. At first it was handed to me without the battery which made the thin profile more obvious. But upon attaching the extended battery (6-cell), it broke the sleekness a bit with the protruding extension. But this has its advantages as well which more or less makes up for the impact in the sleek design of the unit.

I asked if they had a 3-cell battery available. Sadly it was a by-order basis only item. The plus side of it is that the extended battery adds more space between the unit and the table which makes for improved cooling.
The down side of it is that it destroys the sleek profile. But for a unit which is pretty efficient, I would still be very happy even with a 3-cell battery and an up-time of 4 to 7 hours.

The Wind U160 comes with 2GB of RAM and a 1.66GHz Atom N450 processor. While the GMA 1350 will not allow you to run an extended desktop, it still supports a single monitor output even at 1920x1080 resolution.

Some people might not be happy with the pre-installed Windows 7 Starter, but upgrading it and keeping all the MSI-specific features intact is a very easy thing to do. Just purchase an upgrade key from Micosoft or use a retail key of any higher edition of Windows 7. I ran the Windows Anytime Upgrade and entered a retail product key for Windows 7 Home Pemium and the upgrade went very smoothly. All MSI add-ons are still intact, and even the Splash screen and computer information remained the same except for the now better looking Aero look and the new Windows 7 Home Premium title.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Netbook Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: