PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

iPhone 4 leaves Windows Phone 7 Series behind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Windows Mobile News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppcsurfr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: iPhone 4 leaves Windows Phone 7 Series behind. Reply with quote

Will Windows Phone Series 7 trail behind the iPhone 4?

We've heard the sad thing that Windows Phone Series 7 will not have Mutli-Tasking abilities (as Microsoft explained, it hasn't been totally removed. It's just not available for all the apps to take advantage of.) In reality, it's not really that bad, but it's also not as good as the old Windows Mobile devices which truly multi-task.

But the bad thing here is that the news seems to give out the wrong message.

Microsoft - With the release of Windows Phone Series 7, units will no longer be able to multi-task... in short what we hear is NO MORE MULTI-TASKING!

On the other hand, Apple comes up with their incremental upgrades for their iPhone. Now in its 4th iteration, it boasts - "Multitasking. The Right Way." "This smarter approach to multitasking is available only on iPhone."

Once again, Microsoft has put its foot in its mouth. How can this be a right decicion when the press declares NO MORE MULTITASKING for Windows Phone? And Apple becomes the progressive developer who claims that their unit MULTITASKS THE RIGHT WAY!

The iPhone lets you listen to audio in the background. Now you can listen to audio from compatible third-party apps while checking email, surfing the web, playing games, and performing other tasks. So when you want to follow a ball game or listen to music from Pandora, your productivity never skips a beat.

Yes Windows Phone will let you do that... will it? Really? Well, all my Windows Mobile devices do it so why should I not be able to do it right? I should be able to play my music and let my GPS app navigate me through the streets, right? My WM 6.5 devices let me do that. My WM 6.1 devices let me do that...

iPhone 4 - Get VoIP calls while using other apps.
Third-party apps such as Skype let you make voice calls over the Internet. Multitasking in iPhone 4 makes it possible to receive these Skype or VoIP calls while other apps are running, even when your iPhone is locked. And during a call, you can keep the conversation going while you switch to another task, such as checking a movie listing or reading an email.

iPhone 4 - Keep GPS apps running.
Apps that use GPS can continue to run in the background. Not only do they constantly update your position, they can also give you spoken turn-by-turn directions even as you listen to music (the music volume lowers while the directions are spoken). It’s perfect for social networking apps, too. Now you and your friends can find each other even when you’re not actively using the app.

iPhone 4 - Receive push and local notifications.
Third-party apps and services can send alerts and messages directly to your phone. So you can get sports scores, news updates, game requests, reminders, alarms, and more the moment they happen, without having to open the app that’s providing the notification.

iPhone 4 - Complete tasks in the background.
If you’re performing a task that’s taking awhile — such as uploading pictures to a photo service — you can switch to another app without interrupting the task. No more waiting around.

Wow... how can they make that sound so new? Windows Mobile users have been doing this for years!

Or maybe the upcoming Windows Phone users will just be made to stare at iPhone users in envy...

It's really beyond me why Microsoft opted to downgrade the Windows Phone when everyone else is moving forward.

jayteecie
Windows Mobile Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said!

talakitok
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Don't drag others into MS fault Reply with quote

Windows Phone loses it's capability to multitask third party apps is Microsoft fault so one shouldn't drag others to it.

I was right when I thought that iphone and android will surpass WM... I remember, most of the elite members here are making fun of iphone and said the HTC, O2, ETEN, ASUS, etc will bury the iphone... http://www.pinoywindowsmobile.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591&highlight= WOW! Who's being buried now?

My advice to tech geeks here is "don't be so devoted to one... Try to look on other's strengths and potential. Don't just trash others that you don't bet on. So that you won't feel stupid when yours loses."

ppcsurfr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good tech geek can adjust and really see what's good and what's bad in every design.

In the case of Windows Mobile being killed off in favor of a new name "Windows Phone" which also changes the whole idea behind the device, I think any long-time user of the original Windows Mobile aka Pocket PC Phone Edition will surely feel like they have been betrayed by Microsoft.

Yes Microsoft's Windows Phone is still good. But how good is it? I don't think it will be as flexible as Windows Mobile, nor is it going to be very far from the iPhone. If Microsoft took 5 steps forward in creating a connected phone, they obviously took about 10 steps back in the smartphone department.

What you have now is not a geek's phone, what you have is a social phone that's connected to social networking sites where even Outlook relies on SNS info for updates.

What did they learn from Apple and Android? Relying on an app store is the best way to get new apps to every user.

Eventually Windows Phone will find its own niche, just like Google's Android phones and Apple's iPhone.

MS Office, Live Messenger, Facebook, Outlook, IE, Media Player, there are still things that make a Windows Phone unique and closely tied to a desktop PC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Windows Mobile News All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: