PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

HTC HD7 Available Now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> HTC / Dopod Windows Mobile Professional devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sisphtech
New Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: HTC HD7 Available Now! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Just want you to know that the HTC HD7 has landed here in the Philippines and is now available at your local retail stores.

Click the flyer thumbnail.

Go get one for Christmas now!

Thanks!

ace
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the HD7 as a gift. Thought I'd share my thoughts on the matter with you guys who are curious re WP7 experience.

To start off, here are a few random items which I think some may initially ask. Pls. bear with me as these are merely first hand experiences. Feel free to correct or share additional info with me:

- You canít use an external memory card. I believe this is due to the shift towards cloud computing where your data should be stored online. For this, I used my Skydrive account in Windows Live. Unless you want to risk it by following the steps taken by others, you stay with the built-in storage

- Sans third party software, you canít sync it directly to your Outlook account. You can choose to transfer and then sync your contacts and calendar data via the internet to your Yahoo, Gmail, or Hotmail account. I personally chose my Gmail account for this as it I use it primarily for my email. Note that Google has a separate calendar and contact provision. I chose to export the Outlook data to a CSV file and then imported it via Google.

- You need to go online to access apps in the Marketplace, sync contacts and calendar data, and generally upload and download docs via PC to phone, respectively

- For docs, I chose to upload the data to my Skydrive account and downloaded it over the air on the phone. One can also send the docs via email attachment and download them via the phone.

- Generally, you canít just install apps e.g. cab files via USB connected to your PC. Again, you can only access and install these via Marketplace so donít expect the WM software stored in your PC to work (your apps for previous Winphone versions wonít work on WP7, anyway)

- You canít create a Wifi connection if your access point/SSID is hidden

- You can only sync videos and music if you install Zune software into your PC and plug in your phone via USB. You also have the option to sync wirelessly once your Zune connection has been established.

- You canít choose your own text tones or ringtones. You can only select from whateverís in the phone. Old Ring, anyone?

- There are a lot of free apps in the Marketplace which can be very useful. I personally chose Adobe Reader, Unit Converter, YouTube, Attentive Phone (which can, among other things, turn your ringer on/off when the phone is placed face down), List it Do It (for tasks and to-do lists), Marketplace Search (to fine tune your app requirements from the hundreds available), Notes, SimpiRSS. Ebook reader? I tried Freda but have yet to get the hang of it. Canít give you answers on paid apps as I havenít gone there yet, but I understand Phils. is not in the list for the apps marketplace Crying or Very sad

- Uninstalling apps is as simple as a tap and hold on the icon until the ďUninstallĒ option comes out

- For now, the only map available is from Bing. Donít expect much in terms of detailed Philippine maps. Garmin XT? Nope.

- No file explorer so you canít access the innards of the software.

- Touch typing is a lot better than the HD2. I noticed, though, that you canít store drafts. It also doesnít have a ďDeleted ItemsĒ folder nor an option to select all text messages for, say, possible deletion.

- Bluetooth pairing with my Jabra headset went smoothly. Havenít tried it with my other BT headset for listening to music, though

- Nice experience when web surfing via IE..seems faster than before. Wifi connectivity is also quick.

- Casing and screen protector? As of this writing, thereís none available in your friendly neighborhood Greenhills shops. Since Iím a bit OC when it comes to my gadgets, I settled for the HTC Desire screen protector and silicone casing from Capdase bought and installed in V-Mall. The fit for both turned out ok.

- Battery life is acceptable. Regular surfing via Wifi and 3g access, a few calls, SMS, and I still have enough juice to last me at least another day before I start charging.

- You can surf the web when connected to your PC via USB. I understand you can't use it as a modem.

How is it for me? So far, itís differentÖvery different. Iím missing some apps that I used to enjoy before but the initial experience is well, different (did I say that?) Movable app tiles at the Start screen instead of the usual menu is a nice change. No complaints so far since Iíve prepared myself in terms of the techie expectations that previous WinMo versions could or could not comparatively deliver. I canít make comparisons to Android phones and Iphone either as I havenít had the pleasure (or money due to WAF guidelines) to play with these. I understand updates will be coming in soon, so expect some improvements/changes in how the software works.

Hope this helps.

ppcsurfr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ace, I think we should meet up. I'd love to see your new toy.

And yes, so it is confirmed.

The way I see it, it's basically shift to cloud computing and this is something which I've been doing for a while using Windows Live.

The question now is will it be able to support all the features of Windows Live such as groups, group calendars and the such.

Microsoft has promised that they will be making the updates available every quarter. And with this promise, I hope we see significant improvements that would propel this OS and device way past the iPhone and Android platforms.

I've been playing around with Android devices and while I may say they do have some good apps and features, Android devices leave much to be desired when it comes to the phone features.

Going back to Windows Live, for those who have not tried the latest, you should go now and take a look at it as it is one way of getting your PIM back into a Windows Phone. Today's Windows Live Messenger now incorporates SNS access to facebook, Linked-In and such.

And as for Windows Phone 7, it's time that we embrace the fact that the cloud is where everything will be kept.

ace
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey chief no prob. let's meet up soon. medyo ot, but i'll also bring another toy that i got recently (with waf hehe). i chose this tablet pc as i wanted something which i could utilize while lying down and it also uses an os which i'm comfy with.

fyi google which is my main account now syncs ota with my phone and outlook on my desktop and tablet pc via google calendar and contacts sync. it's a whole new experience but i find it very interesting to say the least.

see you soon!

korben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice first hand experience Ace. Very different nga.
I would love to see the new toy of yours too compare it sa Android Smile (got a CM A100 for myself)

Very Happy

My Multiply site

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ppcsurfr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusto ko siya i-compare sa Experia X10 na gamit ko.

ace
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i eventually switched all my calendar and contact apps to windows live and no worries so far. google sync applications haven't been that smooth and most of the time i ended up with duplicate entries after syncing ota w/ outlook and the phone.

i just wish that the apps marketplace could be opened up for local purchases. while i do know that there were certain reasons for the non-inclusion, maybe they can come up with a system where you can, say, purchase prepaid credits locally and use these to buy said applications.

hope ms and the other manufacturers can make this possible.

ppcsurfr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace wrote:
hope ms and the other manufacturers can make this possible.

That's a good idea. Then all you need is to enter a code to allow you to purchase over Marketplace.

ace
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi an update for the hd7 is already available. notification was given and the update made via zune.

didn't see any improvements, but after checking the net, it seems it's an update that will make your phone ready for the next update Laughing Laughing

bnycastro
Windows Mobile Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone attending the HTC workshop on Monday 07-Mar?

May the FORCE Be With You...
blog | twitter

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kenjifujima
New Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It 's a good idea. Then just enter a code that allows you to buy more than Marketplace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> HTC / Dopod Windows Mobile Professional devices All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: