PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

What's the proper way of doing a reset on an i600?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> General Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abv818
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: What's the proper way of doing a reset on an i600? Reply with quote

Hi! I've been experiencing some hanging on my i600 due to some apps i recently installed.

I would like to solicit any advice on how to do a soft reset on the unit whenever it hangs without removing the battery.

sgt. shultz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the i600 froze and no buttons or keys respond, removing the batt is your only option to reset. Smile

Message posted using a Windows Mobile device

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cutiepatootsie
New Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do a reset on my i600.
It said I had to free up some memory that unless I do so I'm unable to receive sms etc...
so I checked the task manager, memory info. memory and storage card wasn't full but storage was. Where is this "storage"? I looked at the manual didnt find anything that helped so my only course at the time was to do a reset thus losing all my apps and settings, etc.
What do you guys use to back up your settings and apps so you can spare urselves the pain of loading them up one by one again... registry keys and all...
I also noticed once I reset my phone it once again became SGH-i600 when syncing with ms activesync. I set desktop to overwrite handheld but what happened was it was my profile sync that got "erased" good thing all my data was still there like calendar, contacts, notes, tasks... all but my excel sheets, ringtones,... so .... what happened there?
has anyone experienced the same thing?
smartphone

sgt. shultz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutiepatootsie wrote:
I had to do a reset on my i600.
It said I had to free up some memory that unless I do so I'm unable to receive sms etc...
so I checked the task manager, memory info. memory and storage card wasn't full but storage was. Where is this "storage"? I looked at the manual didnt find anything that helped so my only course at the time was to do a reset thus losing all my apps and settings, etc.
What do you guys use to back up your settings and apps so you can spare urselves the pain of loading them up one by one again... registry keys and all...
I also noticed once I reset my phone it once again became SGH-i600 when syncing with ms activesync. I set desktop to overwrite handheld but what happened was it was my profile sync that got "erased" good thing all my data was still there like calendar, contacts, notes, tasks... all but my excel sheets, ringtones,... so .... what happened there?
has anyone experienced the same thing?

how did you reset your i600?

"storage" means device storage (not the micro sd ). might be better to store or save your documents in the micro sd. even if your i600 hard resets (went back to factory default), all the contents of the micro sd card are still intact. also, i think it's time for you to use a backup software (sprite is one good software).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cutiepatootsie
New Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so where can i find this "storage" so if this happens again I can just delete stuff from it directly. I deleted apps on my phone and it doesn't affect "storage" (device storage).

I did a factory reset from d manual:

To change all profile settings to their factory default, press
the Menu soft key from the profile list and select Reset to
default.

thanks! I'll try sprite.
smartphone

sgt. shultz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutiepatootsie wrote:
ok so where can i find this "storage" so if this happens again I can just delete stuff from it directly. I deleted apps on my phone and it doesn't affect "storage" (device storage).

I did a factory reset from d manual:

To change all profile settings to their factory default, press
the Menu soft key from the profile list and select Reset to
default.

thanks! I'll try sprite.

hi one of the reasons of low storage is space is the temporary files in pocket internet explorer. if you browse a lot, you must have used a lot of space. to clear the cache, open your internet explorer. In Menu - options - memory, you will see the sizes of temporary file, cookies and history. if they get to big, just use the Clear button. just monitor these things once in a while . hope this helps.

or another way is to relocate/store the IE cache to the sd card. one way to do it is to use this application
http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=2328
not sure if it works in WM6

or use a registry editor (phm registry editor is a good one).If you aren't afraid of editing the registry - manually edit [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cache] and point the value to the Storage Card. registry editing is dangerous so be sure to back up your device or registry first.

here's a good guide on this. the example used is for a pocket pc but the idea is the same - http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17997

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> General Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: