PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

Samsung i900 Omnia (Topics merged)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Windows Mobile News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomni
Windows Mobile Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sale in Singapore already. Very Happy
Might buy next month.
Samsung fan here.
Maganda yun UI niya.

jomni
Windows Mobile Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maganda yun UI niya. It's pimped out rin.
Planning to buy next month. Razz

geraldo3
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jomni ... how much is is selling for?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sgt. shultz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singapore price @ page 1 Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jomni
Windows Mobile Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: My short review of the SGH-i900 Reply with quote

Finally got my hands on an Omnia. And I got it at a really nice price.
RSP S$1000 - S$300 (telco 2-yr contract) - S$100 (wife is already telco subscriber) - S$150 (telco rewards points) - S$100 (trade in of old phone) = S$350!!! Very Happy

So here are my impressions:

Build quality is top notch. Materials don't look cheap. The whole unit is sturdy without any loose parts and creaking sounds. Holes are adequately covered with caps. Screen has a layer of hard plastic (not the flexible-type used in older PPC models). It's not too heavy. And it's not too big. Design is cool. It's iPhone-ish in a way, but it is still a stylish Samsung phone. The speaker is really loud.

We all know the hardware specs and it has one of the better processors, it boasts 16GB of total storage space (shared memory included). It has GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, Quad Band, 3.5G, HSDPA, 2 cameras -- one low res camera for video calls and one 5 mega pixel camera, and a large screen (widescreen).

With regards to the UI, it's quite user friendly compared to standard Windows Mobile 6. My only complaint is that it's pretty plain compared to the ultra-sleek UI of the HTC Diamond. The UI is completely touch driven, making the use of the stylus unnecessary. Text imput is done by the usual WM methods as well as 3 custom Samsung methods (Full QWERTY, two letters per button, and phone pad type). Most efficient is the Full QWERTY in landscape mode where the keys are really big. It has a motion sensor that automatically switches between portrait and landscape mode in any environment (not app-specific). The UI also has a vibration feedback to give a tactile response when tapping the screen.

It does not have a joystick or d-pad, but a touch sensitive pad where you just slide your finger. It can be used in the normal 4-way operation or mouse-type operation (mouse cursor appears in your screen).

The UI has widgets that you can drag around. It's cute and decently functional. But overall, it's just a gimmick to wow people. Some hard-core productivity freaks may just turn the widgets off and use the other custom Samsung today screen or the default WM today screen.

Some might complain about the lack of stylus. A stylus is included in the box but it cannot be housed in the phone itself. As far as my experience is concerned, I have learned to do without the stylus. Operation is quite easy with the thumb and fingers. But some WM apps, not optimized for finger operation, may eventually require a stylus.

The 5mp camera is good and it has a lot of modern features (auto focus, flash, face recognition, smile detection, etc). It's has one of the more easier camera UI's to use with big buttons for easy operation using the finger.

It includes a GPS app with Singapore Malaysia map from AsiaGIS (AGIS). When I tested, the Omnia got a location fix in about 2 minutes for normal GPS (outdoors) and less than 1 minute for A-GPS (indoors). It also has Google Maps installed which can interact with your GPS but loading the maps will incur data charge if not connected to a free wifi access point.

The custom music player is functional. Very easy to use with your fingers. But my complaint is that it has no equalizer functionality. Sound range and quality is good enough though.

It has two internet browsers, IE and Opera. I'm not used to Opera so I can't comment on it.

The following are my (minor) gripes:

1) Headset is strange. It has a proprietary jack (as with all Samsung phones) that share with the charger, headset, sync cable. This means you cannot use the headset when connected to the computer. You cannot use the headset while charging at the same time. Sad What's funny is that you can detach the earpiece from the microphone housing of the headset and use your own headphones (standard earphone jack). It's both cool since you can use any of your preferred headsets and annoying because the overall length of the whole headset is twice the normal length. They could have just used the standard earphone jack but I guess a round hole in the phone won't be stylish. Lol!

2) Music player is "bare bones". It's just a touch-optimized version of Windows Media Player.

3) Micro SD slot is inside the phone together with the SIM Card. So hot-swapping is not possible. But it has loads of storage space anyway.

4) Screen is large and is wide screen. But I would have hoped they used one with the resolution to match the HTC Diamond's.

SuperInggo
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jomni

I hope you can help me with my OMNIA buying decision. I'm having second thoughts about the screen if its SCRATCH RESISTANT. added to the fact that it's FLUSHED which makes it even more prone to scratches. I need your comment about the quality of the screen and whether screen protector is necessary. If you applied one, do the edges of the protector get peeled easily because of the flush design?

regards

blackgold
New Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperInggo wrote:
@jomni

I hope you can help me with my OMNIA buying decision. I'm having second thoughts about the screen if its SCRATCH RESISTANT. added to the fact that it's FLUSHED which makes it even more prone to scratches. I need your comment about the quality of the screen and whether screen protector is necessary. If you applied one, do the edges of the protector get peeled easily because of the flush design?

regards

Any OMNIA user out there to help respond to the questions above, I'll be in the same scenario...appreciate some help specially if I need to put a screen protector on my OMNIA? Will it change the screen's sensitivity?

regards,

My Blog: http://arthurguerrero.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Windows Mobile News All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: