PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index

Home Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Home Forum Profile FAQ Search Memberlist Private Messages Log in  Register

not yet a certified techie... help pls?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Pocket PC Phone Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what's the best o2 xda unit?
stealth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
atom exec
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
zinc
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
mini
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

k_barcelona
New Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: not yet a certified techie... help pls?!? Reply with quote

sirs and ma'ams:

what is???

-difference between a 416 and 520 mhz processor? does it really matter?
-Flash ROM and why you need a ROM upgrade? (im a stealth user and i found out from one of the threads that you have to upgrade stealth rom)
-RAM
-802.11/b (exec) vs. 802.11b/g (stealth)
-hsdpa

thanks for the enlightenment. im new in gadgets. havent been the gadget freak coz i usually prefer the traditional way of books and writing notes on paper. but this time, i want to be techie somehow to manage more stuff efficiently...

been disappointed about stealth coz of the ezitext thing! darn!
sana i bought exec na lang.. mas ok pa cguro magbasa ng ebooks.

xb
Windows Mobile Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, let me welcome you to the world of Windows Mobile and specifically, the world of PINOY Windows Mobile!

Allow me to try and explain as much as I can all the things you are inquiring about. I am sure the other people willl contribute their knowledge as well.

1. The difference between a 416 mhz and a 520 mhz processor is not as great as it seems. Although the general notion of faster is better still applies, it does not not always follow with all applications. The speed difference may not be that evident in word processing let's say compared to video playback or gaming. But 416 mhz is a comfortable enough speed for general pocketpc use.

2. ROM (Read Only Memory) is a type of memory that cannot be erased from your device even if you do a hard reset (when you wipe all the data you put in). It is where the operating system (Windows Mobile) is stored.

Flash ROM means that the ROM can be changed to a newer version of the operating system. I would not recommend that you flash your ROM if you don't know what you are doing because it is a very tricky process and potentially render your device useless. Just check the O2 website for any updates and instructions on ROM upgrading.

3. RAM (Random Access Memory) is the part of the device where applications are run. It is volatile meaning the data in it is usually erased if the device is reset. The XDA Stealth has about 64 MB of RAM for runnning applications.

4. 802.11 (aka WiFi) is a wireless standard for internet access. The letters a, b, or g just refer to operating frequency and range tha device is capable of handling.

5. HSDPA (aka 3G or High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) is broadband connection through the GSM protocol

korben

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: not yet a certified techie... help pls?!? Reply with quote

k_barcelona wrote:
sirs and ma'ams:

what is???
-difference between a 416 and 520 mhz processor? does it really matter?

alot. in terms of processing speeds in running applications.
    although a Samsung 400Mhz processor may compete with an Intel PXA 520Mhz chip. The Samsung 400MHz performance is equivalent to the (or better than) Intel PX27x 520MHz processor. 64MB RAM is a norm for most WM5 devices. However, I would say the let down part is the 128MB ROM capacity which is not quite sufficient for such a high-end device & only a QVGA screen. The good part, it supports 3.5G HSDPA, a QWERTY keyboard, a jog-dial, 2Mpix camera with macro & LED flash light.

k_barcelona wrote:

-Flash ROM and why you need a ROM upgrade? (im a stealth user and i found out from one of the threads that you have to upgrade stealth rom)

Upgrading ROMs is something we leave to the experts and who knows how to do it. If we proceed with it, either we succeed in doing it or making our precious devices ( i don't call them toys, 'coz they cost alot among things ) another expensive paper weights. Very Happy

You can read more on this at
    UPDATING ROMs

k_barcelona wrote:

-RAM

RandomAccessMemory (RAM) - is the place where your user data (email, contacts, calendar, settings, apps you installed, etc) are located. Now came the Persistent Storage on Windows Mobile devices. Why go Persistent Storage? here's a primer on that.

Persistent Storage (PS) on PocketPC is new for Windows Mobile 5.0. (All Smartphones since the original 2002 release have had PS.)

Previously, your user data (email, contacts, calendar, settings, apps you installed, etc) were stored in RAM. RAM has the advantage of being really fast, but the significant disadvantage of needing a constant source of power for it to hold its data. Leave your device unplugged for long enough, and you'll lose all your data. Fixing that was the primary reason for moving PocketPCs to Persistent Storage.

PS gives you a nice sense of certainty about your data. Batteries running low? No problem. Worst case, the device shuts off and you can't use it again until you get to a power supply. But when you get there, it'll boot back up and all your data will still be there.

But PS has a number of other effects that might not be quite so obvious.

Would you believe that moving to PS can double your battery life and enable devices with significantly more storage than were previously possible?

Here's why. Remember that RAM requires power to keep its data. The amount of power needed is linear with the amount of RAM. That is to say, 64M of RAM needs twice as much power to keep it running as 32M does. 128M needs four times as much power as 32, etc. And this power drain is constant. The RAM is sucking your batteries dry while the device is in use and while it's suspended. It even continues to drain your batteries when they are "critically low" and the system won't let you turn it on. Also, people didn't buy 128M RAM devices for the program space. They bought them to store stuff in. And those devices had lousy battery lives as a result.

Flash ROM, on the other hand, burns pretty much the same amount of power regardless of how much you have. A 32M flash part burns about the same amount of power as a 128M flash part does. And a 1G flash part is pretty much the same as well. So, by moving to a system where I store my stuff in flash, not RAM, I can put more storage in without requiring a bigger battery to compensate.

But wait, there's more. Pre-Persistent Storage, Windows Mobile had what we called "the 72 hour rule." If you've ever seen a PocketPC run low on batteries, at some point it pops up a dialog that says something like, "You're running out of power, you should stop now." If you keep using it, it'll come back a little later with a more dire warning saying something to the effect of, "You'd better save your data now, because you're on the verge of losing it." Then, a bit after that it comes on and says, "That's it, I'm shutting you down." At that point, you can't use the device again until you plug it in. How much battery charge do you think you have then? 5% maybe?

Try half.

Yes, when we shut you down because your batteries were "critically low," they were still 1/4 to 1/2 full. Why? Because, if the batteries ever fully died, it would be catastrophic. You'd lose your data, and that's, in our opinion, one of the worst things that can happen. So we made a requirement and held our OEMs to it. The requirement was that, at the point where we decided the batteries were "critically low," they had to still have enough power to keep the RAM charged for 72 hours. The idea there was that you could discover that you were out of power on Friday on the way home and you'd still have your data on Monday when you got back to your charger.

A typical battery holds 1000mAh of charge. 128M of RAM takes about 500mAh to stay resident for 72 hours. 64M takes about 250. This is why you never saw a 256M WM 2003 device. It would have run for a minute then decided its batteries were critically low.

This is why switching to Persistent Storage can radically improve your battery life. With PS, we removed the 72 hour requirement. We'll let you run your batteries completely dry, because we know your data will still be safe. Right off the bat, that buys you a significant chuck of time. It also means that no one ever has to make a 128M RAM device again. They can fall back to 64M devices, which burn less power, and store the user data in tons and tons of flash. You'll definitely see 128M flash devices. And there's no barrier to keeping you from seeing 256M, 1G, etc devices. That couldn't have been done with RAM.

Downsides? Yes, nothing is free. Flash is much slower than RAM. Reading and writing large amounts of data will take longer on a PS device than it did on a RAM device. That initial sync that pulls down 400 contacts and 5000 emails will take longer. Some write operations will seem a bit more sluggish. But I believe you'll find that the upsides significantly outweigh the downsides.
    Trackback

k_barcelona wrote:

-802.11/b (exec) vs. 802.11b/g (stealth)
-hsdpa

802.11a/b/g are wireless standards or WIFI standards. The 802.11b and 802.11g Wi-Fi networking standards are generally compatible. An 802.11b router / access point will work with 802.11g network adapters and vice versa.

However, a number of technical limitations affect mixed 802.11b and 802.11g networks:

* An 802.11b client will get no better network performance connected to an 802.11g router (access point), than it does when connected to an 802.11b router. Such a connection is limited by the speed of the 802.11b adapter.

* An 802.11g client will experience slower network performance connected to an 802.11b router than to an 802.11g router. Such a connection is limited by the speed of the 802.11b router.

* When both 802.11b and 802.11g clients are connected to an 802.11g router, the performance of the 802.11g clients can suffer.

and for HSDPA:

HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) or 3.5G is is a 3G mobile telephony protocol in the HSPA family, which provides a roadmap for UMTS-based networks to increase their data transfer speeds and capacity. Current HSDPA deployments now support 1.8 Mbit/s, 3.6 Mbit/s, 7.2 Mbit/s and 14.4 Mbit/s in downlink.

Further speed grades are planned for the near future. The networks are then to be upgraded to HSPA Evolved, which provides speeds of 42Mbit downlink in its first release.

In addition to supporting high data speeds, HSDPA greatly increases the capacity of the network. Current HSDPA networks have the capacity to provide each customer with 30 gigabytes of data per month in addition to 1000 minutes of voice and 300 minutes of mobile TV.

k_barcelona wrote:

thanks for the enlightenment. im new in gadgets. havent been the gadget freak coz i usually prefer the traditional way of books and writing notes on paper. but this time, i want to be techie somehow to manage more stuff efficiently...

same as studying Medicine, read, read and more reads...

k_barcelona wrote:

been disappointed about stealth coz of the ezitext thing! darn!
sana i bought exec na lang.. mas ok pa cguro magbasa ng ebooks.

hmmm... i wouldn't advise reading ebooks (prc,pdb,pdf and the like) on a Stealth. just so darn small to read. Might give you countless headaches lang.

My Multiply site

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DyeySy
Windows Mobile Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bro wag ka mag sisi sa stealth..

its nice really.. i would prefer stealth over atom.. its more on texting plus a touch screen.. really nice ang stealth..

k_barcelona
New Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, thanks for the reply. i know i have a long way to go in becoming an expert but with your help, maybe i can at least manage my resources...to get my money's worth di ba.

i still have a query... im still not able to run the internet using my ppc. maybe it's the settings.. i'll try to check w/ the local distributor. pero if someone could show me the way, that'll be nice. sorry for being so demanding ehehe...

thanks a bunch!

jayteecie
Windows Mobile Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your device have autoconfig utility? if yes, just choose your service provider from the list and let it do the configuration. Wink

k_barcelona
New Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabi ng local distributor, kaya daw i cant run the internet using wifi, nagulo daw ang settings. so they made a hard reset. kaso, di pa rin gumagana eh.

help pls? yoko naman gamitin un sa globe eh lalo na kun may libreng internet access naman.

di ko rin naman kasi gets un mga settings for wifi connection...
im sorry to bug you guys again. i know naman ur the masters of this..thanks in advance

ppcsurfr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wala namang settings dapat na ibahin for free Wi-Fi access...

May I ask where you are trying to connect via Wi-Fi?

ace
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird...i wonder what they meant by nagulo ang settings. even weirder is the fact that even a hard reset didn't fix things. normally, you just tap/enable the wifi connectivity on your unit and it will show if there's an available signal (unless hindi naka-broadcast). a few questions:

a) saan yung place where you're trying to access wifi? are you in a wifi zone?
b) is it secured or open for all to access? you may need to log in first or you may be required to input a password

k_barcelona
New Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirs, thanks for the fast replies.

kasi po, have a router at home. so supposedly, i should be able to access the net. lumalabas naman na "available" un status but pag inaaccess ko na un yahoo, ang lumalabas po eh check your settings..

the other day naman, i was in robinsons which is a wifi zone. i dunno if need pa un passkey or watever you call it.

eh sabi ng local distrib, hard reset is what i need para maayos daw un settings but i still cant make it work.

ace
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were you the one that set up the wifi connection at home? even though it shows "available", you might need to input a password (which i really hope you have, otherwise it's a large security risk for you).

w/ regards sa robinson's, just activate your wifi and the available network should pop up ("robinsonsmall" yata). choose connect, open your internet explorer, and you should be good to go.

jayteecie
Windows Mobile Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yung sa bahay nyo, meron bang encryption or security ang wifi? if yes, you have to type it sa enccryption key. you'll know if there's a key needed if there's a padlock icon beside the ssid in your network cards.

Message posted using a Windows Mobile device

k_barcelona
New Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yipee! was able to access wifi na at home! i'll test it at other hotspots dn to make sure. ewan ko po ba, bsta ngkaron na... tnx for all the help sirs! *salute*

Message posted using a Windows Mobile device

krisy006
New Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.. learned a lot of things form this post..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PinoyWindowsPhone Forum Index -> Pocket PC Phone Edition All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: